A number of inter-institutional graduate student enrollment agreements have been established enabling graduate students from one institution to take graduate level courses at one of the other participating institutions. Students must be registered full-time (9 credit hours) between their home institution and their host institution during the semester they register for courses under the inter-institutional agreement.
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Texas A&M Health Science Center
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- University of Houston
- Rice University
Registration Rules and Guidelines
- Requested class must not be offered by the home institution during the requested term/semester
- Requested class must be necessary for completion of graduate degree
- Visiting students may register for a total of no more than 12 credit hours outside their home institution, as part of the inter-institutional agreement
- Number of credits allowed per term/semester may vary depending on the policy of the host school
- All approval signatures must be completed
- Foreign students taking inter-institutional courses: You must check with your International Services Office regarding additional paperwork. Most host schools will require a copy of your I-20/DS-2019, visa stamp, passport ID page, and 1-94
- For a comprehensive list of Registration Deadlines (including ADD, DROP, Variable Credit deadlines etc.), please consult the semester specific Academic Calendar.
- Students may not take a course Pass/Fail, or for Audit.
- Due to the structure of the summer sessions at Rice University, this arrangement is not available to non-Rice students during the summer sessions.
Enrollment Process for Non-Rice Students
This section details the procedures and required signatures necessary for a student whose home university is not Rice University, and who desires to participate in the inter-institutional graduate program with Rice University during the fall/spring semesters.
Complete the Inter-Institutional Graduate Program Registration Form.
Obtain the approval signature of your academic advisor at your home institution, and International Students Office (if applicable).
Submit the form to the Office of the Registrar at your home institution for full-time enrollment verification.
Obtain the signature of your department chairperson at your home institution.
Obtain permission of the instructor of record at Rice University.
Submit the completed Inter-Institutional Graduate Program Registration Form to the Office of the Registrar at Rice University in Allen Center 116. Your student record will then be created and you will be registered for the course.
*Upon submission to the Office of the Registrar at Rice University, international students should also submit their passport, visa, I-20, I-94 arrival/departure card, and a completed Check-In Sheet.
Please Note: Due to the structure of the summer sessions at Rice University, this arrangement is not available to non-Rice students during the summer sessions.
Two weeks after the close of a semester and the submission of final grades, the Rice University Office of the Registrar will forward an official academic transcript to your home institution.
Fees are paid at your home institution. Please contact the Cashier’s Office at your home institution for additional information.