Visiting High School Students

Rice University welcomes high school seniors and juniors to apply to take online for-credit courses during Summer Semester 2021.

    How do I apply?

    STEP 1
    Find an online course you want to take for-credit on the Summer 21 Online Courses page. You will be including the course information in your application.

    STEP 2
    Complete the online application and submit it with the $75 application fee. Upload all of the required forms to your application:

    1. Financial Responsibility
    2. Release and Hold Harmless Agreement

    STEP 3
    Send your official high school transcripts to Rice. Official transcript may be mailed to:

    Rice University - Visiting Student Programs
    Office of the Registrar - MS 57
    P.O. Box 1892
    Houston, TX 77251-1892

    Or, the official transcript may be emailed directly from your high school to

    STEP 4
    Once everything has been received and your application is complete, you will be contacted regarding your acceptance. You can always log back in to your Application Portal to see if there are any updates to your application.

    STEP 5
    If accepted to take a course at Rice, the Office of the Registrar will contact you. You will be given instructions on how to confirm your registration for the course(s) you would like to be registered for. Make sure to review the visiting student guidelines.

    STEP 6
    Attend the course and enjoy!

      Frequently Asked Questions

      When do I need to apply?

      The deadlines to apply vary per summer block; they are listed on the Academic Calendar. If you plan to take courses in multiple sessions, the deadline to apply would be the earliest session's deadline - you do not need to submit multiple applications.

      What is the cost of attending?

      For information on tuition and fees, visit the Cashier's Website.

      Attending Rice University as a visiting undergraduate student is not a means of entering a degree program. Students who wish to take classes without earning credit may do so as a Visiting Auditor.

      Is the college credit that I receive from completing the course transferable to other universities?

      The courses completed at Rice may be transferable to another college/university. Each college/university sets its own requirements for transfer credit, and some restrict the transfer of hours completed prior to high school graduation. You would need to inquire with the school you wish to attend to see if they would accept such credit toward a bachelor's degree.

      A course I want to take has a prerequisite that I have AP credit for. Can I register for the course?

      If you have completed an AP course for calculus and have scored a 4 or 5 on it, you may be able to register for courses that require calculus as a prerequisite. During the application process, please be sure to upload your AP test scores, and we will use that in consideration for admission to the course. For a list of "Rice equivalent" AP courses, please see the AP Credit Lists for Current and Previous Years.

      If there is a course that you would like to take that has a prerequisite on it and you think that you have the needed background outside of AP credit, please email us to inquire at