Visiting Student Types

Rice University is pleased to host various types of non-degree seeking visiting students throughout the year. The various types of visiting students have their own application processes which are outlined in the links below:

Visiting High School Students

Visiting high school students are high school juniors and seniors. These students can apply for visiting student status, enabling them to register for for-credit Rice courses during the summer semester.

Visiting Undergraduates

Visiting undergraduates are students who are enrolled at another college or university and wish to register for for-credit Rice courses during the summer semester.

Visiting Post Baccalaureates

Visiting Post Baccalaureate students are non-degree seeking students who have obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university and wish to register for for-credit Rice courses.

Visiting Auditors

Visiting auditors are non-credit seeking students who are interested in auditing a Rice course. Auditing students should identify themselves to the instructor and ensure that they meet the audit requirements of the courses as defined by the instructor.

Visiting Student Researchers

Visiting student researchers are invited by a Rice faculty member or academic department to participate in an experiential research-specific learning.

Faculty/Staff Taking Courses

Faculty/staff members who are benefits-eligible Rice employees and have received authorization can take one eligible Rice course per fall/spring semester, either for credit or as an auditor.

Inter-Institutional Graduate Students

The inter-institutional graduate program consists of enrollment agreements between Rice University, Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, and the University of Houston. The program enables full-time graduate students from one participating institution to take graduate-level courses at one of the other participating institutions.

Visiting Exchange Students

For exchange programs, students should visit the Study Abroad website.

Note for International Students

International students of any visiting student type should be prepared to submit their international student documents including, a copy of Passport, a copy of Visa Stamp, a copy of I-94, a copy of I-20/DS-2019, and the Office of International Students and Scholars Check-In Sheet. These documents can be uploaded through our secure uploader.